The National Acoustic Laboratories (NAL) was established in 1947 as the Commonwealth Acoustic Laboratories (CAL) to carry out research and hearing services to children and war veterans. During the 1950s and 1960s, CAL’s hearing services were extended to more groups of clients. The name was changed to National Acoustic Laboratories in 1973. Click here to read more about the early history of NAL.
In July 1992, the organisation was re-named Australian Hearing Services, becoming a Statutory Authority of the Commonwealth Government. The research division has retained its name of NAL to distinguish it from the hearing services offered by Australian Hearing.